Hello!

Do we have any homelabbers here?

I work as an IT-consultant, the majority of most of my days go towards servers and networking - which is also what I want to be doing.

Because of that (and a huge interest since my first computer when I was 4 years old), I have found homelabbing as a hobby, it gives me room to expand my knowledge as well as testing things out before putting it into consideration at work.

On my DL380 G7 (2xXeon 5620's, 32gb of memory, RAID10 on 8x2.5'') I run the following:

Homelab-essential: PLEX (ofcourse), Pi-Hole (for DNS-"spoofing" ads, using this as DNS-server), I run a grafana-dasboard, reverseproxy via nginx, nextcloud behind nginx, hyper-V containing around 6 VMs varying from debian, arch and windows.

I also run dockers and game-servers for friends (mostly heavily-modded minecraft, but also FiveM and other "games on demand".)

I also have a run a Zyxel USG20 on another subnet for "pentesting" and trying to secure as much as possible.

I also have some raspberry's around doing nothing at the moment.

Anyone else having this interest?

• Like 1

Not necessarily full home labbing, however due to having a lot of data that needs backing up and keeping secure I have a home server that I mainly use for storing my data on and a smaller server for the streaming of media content.

Edited by Kronus

11 hours ago, Grurk Muouk said:

I once installed a Dell R420 behind a toilet at a safe house in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso.  Does that count?

Definitely, but why behind a toilet?

2 hours ago, Kronus said:

Not necessarily full home labbing, however due to having a lot of data that needs backing up and keeping secure I have a home server that I mainly use for storing my data on and a smaller server for the streaming of media content.

Nice, you talkin' synology?

Thats some next lever stuff right there.

I have a few arduinos and raspberry 1-3 which I actually mess around with. 

It was a tiny little house and there were all kinds of electronics and everything else packed in there.  So just think about what you need to consider before installing a server.  Space.  Temperature.  Power.  It fit all the bills.  When I got back stateside, I did catch a lot of "banter" as you UK'ers would put it.  But hey, shit worked... no pun.  

Edited by Grurk Muouk
Grammar
  • Like 1